On Campus Employment

International Services authorizes on-campus work permission to eligible F-1 and J-1 students. The work authorization form, also referred to as your “Work Permit”, is available online through the MyLSU account AFTER your hiring department has loaded your appointment in the LSU system. Students will receive an email from the LSU Payroll office to complete the required hiring forms which will include the F-1/J-1 on campus work permission form. It takes 3-5 business days to process and approve. During semester peak times, processing times may be longer.

You will also be required to fill out the Form I-9, which is used to show how you are eligible to work in the United States and it is required for you to receive your paycheck. The Form I-9 will be processed by International Services after you have submitted it online AND met with an IS Advisor for your Status Verification process. Information about the Status Verification process can be found here. Your paycheck may be delayed if you do not submit your Form I-9 in a timely manner (before the previous form expires), if errors are found, or if you have not yet come in for your Status Verification.

For new students transferring from a different U.S. college, the F-1 or J-1 transfer process must be completed before we can process on-campus work authorization. All new students, both those coming from overseas as well as the transfer students, must report officially to the International Services office before their work documents can be processed. If a department wants their new student to begin work before Orientation, it will be a complicated process for the department, payroll and the IS office. Information about the Early Work Authorization process can be found here.

It is the student’s responsibility to apply for work authorization PRIOR to the current work authorization’s expiration date. Student’s will receive an email from the LSU Payroll office reminding them to renew their work authorization 15 calendar days prior to the expiration date. Your on-campus work authorization will be valid no earlier than the date you electronically submit your work permission request through your MyLSU account. IS cannot back date work authorizations.


Maintenance of Lawful Status: In order to preserve on-campus employment eligibility, F-1 and J-1 students must maintain their lawful status. This includes, but is not limited to:

  1. Full-time enrollment during the fall and spring semesters (12 hours for undergraduates, 9 hours for Master’s and Doctoral students).
  2. Maintain eligibility to enroll.
  3. Limit all employment to 20 hours per week while school is in session.
  4. Refrain from on or off-campus employment without authorization.
  5. Maintain valid passport, updated immigration documents (Form I-20 or DS-2019) and remain in good academic standing.

    Eligibility for employment as determined by “good academic standing” is as regulated by policy statements, LSU PS-21 (governing graduate assistants) and LSU PS-33 (governing student workers).

It is the student’s responsibility to maintain lawful immigration status and employment can be terminated if the conditions of the on-campus work authorization are violated.

If you are a J-1 student, and LSU did not issue your DS-2019, you must have your employment at LSU approved with your J-1 program sponsor.

ExpandTerms of Employment

Student employment must not exceed 20 hours per week while school is in session. If this student is employed elsewhere on campus or has been authorized to participate in employment off-campus, the TOTAL number of hours worked at all jobs counts towards the 20-hour per week limit.

Full-time employment is permissible between school terms and during official University holidays and breaks, provided the student is not enrolled in any classes during that time.

Only during official University breaks and summer vacation periods may F-1 students apply for special permission FIRST from academic and hiring departments (and the Graduate School, if applicable) in order to work more than 20 hours/week on campus when enrolled in courses. Graduate Assistants’ breaks are determined by the assistantship appointment beginning and ending dates.

In your graduating semester, you may work up to the graduation ceremony date listed in the LSU Course Catalogue, as long as you have a valid work authorization. However, students registering for “Degree Only” may ONLY work on-campus UNTIL the “Degree Only” deadline date (with valid work authorization). “Degree Only” students may NOT continue to work until the end of the semester.

ExpandVendor Work Permits

An LSU Vendor work permit form is required for F-1 or J-1 students who wish to work with organizations on campus that are not affiliated with LSU but have been contracted by LSU to provide services directly to LSU students. Examples of “vendors” are Union Bookstore, LSU Dining, Subway (on-campus), etc.

For on-campus Vendor work permits all of the above eligibility and terms of employment applies.

If a student works for an LSU vendor and an LSU on-campus office, the TOTAL number of hours for the two positions combined cannot exceed 20 hours per week while school is in session.

The vendor work permit form that must be completed by students is available at 101 Hatcher Hall or by emailing isoemp@lsu.edu.