Immigration Information for H-1B Employees

Maintaining H-1B Status

You are permitted to remain in the US as long as you maintain your H-1B status. If you fail to do so, you may be considered unlawfully present and may be subject to deportation. Therefore, it is essential to do the following:

  • Ensure that your passport is valid at all times, unless you are exempt from passport requirements.
  • Work only for the employer(s) that have obtained an H-1B on your behalf. Employment in H-1B status is limited to the employer specified in the H-1B petition. Any work outside LSU, even short-term consultation, will need to be authorized by immigration; that is, you can work for another employer only if you have a concurrent H-1B filed by that employer, or an employment authorization card.
  • Report any proposed changes in employment conditions. Employment is limited to the specific terms and conditions specified in the H-1B petition. Some examples of significant changes that must be reported to International Services office include (but are not limited to) the following: change in job duties, change of department, promotion, demotion, and change in percent effort.
  • Report any change of address on Form AR-11 to the USCIS within 10 days of the change. In accordance with the Department of Homeland Security regulations, you are required to notify the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) of a change of residential address within 10 days of the change by completing Form AR-11 found on the USCIS website. You do not need to inform the International Service about the change of address.
  • Ensure that the processing of the H-1B petition to extend your stay is started in a timely manner (about six months in advance), then processed by IS and received by USCIS prior to the expiration of your current H-1B status. This is YOUR responsibility
  • If you resign from your job or are terminated, you are considered to be out of legal status (if you have no other petition currently pending with the USCIS).
  • Remember that H-4 dependents are NOT authorized to work.