Immigration Information for H-1B Employees

International travel while change or extension of status application is pending

You must be physically present in the U.S. at the time of filing AND during the entire period that a petition for CHANGE OF STATUS is pending. If you leave the U.S. while the petition is pending, Immigration will hold that you have abandoned the request for change of status and you will need to apply for a visa and re-admission to the U.S. before you can start employment in the new status. If you must travel while your application for change of status is pending, please notify the International Services office right away. While it is acceptable to travel abroad while an application for EXTENSION OF STAY OR STATUS is pending, there are some timing issues that may cause you serious problems if not well considered. Therefore, please contact us if you plan to travel while an application for extension of status is pending.