Important Insurance Information

It is the student’s responsibility to purchase and maintain adequate insurance coverage. LSU endorses a Student & Accident Insurance plan issued by AIG Educational Markets. All non-immigrant international students on F & J visas will automatically be enrolled in the LSU endorsed plan unless proof of other acceptable insurance is provided to International Services Office (ISO) prior by the deadline date. All acceptable insurance plans must meet or exceed the following:

ExpandInsurance Requirements

All acceptable insurance plans must meet or exceed the following:

  1. Policy minimum of $50,000 per Accident or Sickness for F-1 and F-2 (issued I-20 forms) or $100,000 minimum aggregate. Policy minimum of $50,000 per Accident or Sickness for J-1 and J-2 visa (issued DS-2019 forms) holders (Required by Department of State Regulations)
  2. Maximum deductible amount of $500
  3. There must also be a maximum deductible for each twelve-month period of $500 per covered person, not to exceed $1000 per policy for multiple party plans.
  4. Policy benefits must meet or exceed those set forth in the LSU endorsed Student Accident & Sickness Insurance plan (including maternity coverage paid as any other health conditions)
  5. A U.S. representative located in the U.S. with a U.S. telephone number physically located in the U.S.(number/contact who acts on behalf of insurance company/insurance plans: verification and processing ability)
  6. Policy must cover routine care visits for colds, flu, etc.. and not just emergency care
  7. Minimum $7,500 benefit for Repatriation of Remains to home country (Pre-existing conditions related deaths, including suicide, must be covered; coverage must remain in force during entry stay in the U.S.)
  8. Minimum $10,000 benefit for Medical Evacuation Coverage to home country. (Pre-existing conditions related deaths must be covered; coverage must remain in force during entry stay in the U.S.)
  9. *Repatriation and medical evacuation coverage can be assessed separately for those students/dependents with policies lacking the repatriation/medical coverage requirements for $8.00 per semester.

    Alternate insurance must be paid in full for each semester. It is the student’s responsibility to provide signed "Insurance Coverage Evaluation Form" (written in English) which can be downloaded from this website to IS by the deadline date to obtain an insurance waiver.



In the event that a student allows their policy to lapse or purchases insurance with an insufficient check or credit card, they may be subject to the following consequences:

  1. Enrollment block for the following semester and possible loss of status per Department of State regulations.
  2. Current registration may be canceled or terminated.
  3. LSU Student Insurance will automatically be added to your Bursar Operation account and/or LSU fee bill via ABS for the remainder of your stay regardless of other insurance.
  4. Letters of completion and/or diplomas will be held until problems are resolved and proof of compliance with the mandatory insurance requirements are established to International Services in writing.
  5. Uninsured students names will be provided to the Dean of Students Office for appropriate action.

Questions regarding LSU’s insurance requirements may be directed to International Services at (225) 578-3191. Questions regarding benefits or claims may be directed to Macori, Inc.. at 1-800-285-8133, website address:

ExpandCommon Questions

ExpandWhere do I go when I am sick or hurt?


You should go to the LSU Student Health Center on Infirmary Road. Phone: (225) 578-6271. Treatment and outside referrals are available at the Student Health Center. Read “Important Requirements” on page 3 of the LSU Student Accident & Sickness brochure regarding referrals.

ExpandIf I am enrolled in the Student Health Insurance endorsed by LSU and need to see a doctor or health care professional outside of the Student Health Center, where do I go?


Always first go to the Student Health Center and speak to a physician about obtaining a referral to an outside Preferred Provider (PPO) physician.

Expand How do I file a claim while on the LSU Student Accident & Sickness Insurance Plan?

  1. Ask the Student Health Center for a Student Insurance Claim form.
  2. Complete all blanks on the front of the claim form.
  3. Attach all bill(s) and Student Health Center referral(s) to the completed claim form. Mail all documents to the authorized agent at:

    Macori, Inc.
    P.O. Box 2567
    Spring, Texas 77383-2567

ExpandWill medical providers, doctors and hospitals file (mail) my claims directly to the insurance company?


Please do not depend on medical providers to file your claims. Obtain copies of your itemized bills; attach to the claim form with the referral and mail to the address above for prompt service.

ExpandAfter I have read my Student Insurance booklet, who can I question regarding the plan?


Call (toll-free) 1-800-285-8133

The Student Health Center and International Services are unable to answer benefit questions.